April 23, 2020
DMI-APWU ZOOM MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
- Total Hawkeye District USPS positive Covid-19 cases: 10
- National USPS Covid-19 deaths – 44
- Total Iowa Positive Covid-19 cases – 3,924 and 96 Covid-19 deaths
- Praying for those affected by Covid-19
- New positive Covid-19, Waterloo Clerk; Union is working to verify proper steps are being taken in regards to sanitizing, contact tracing, mandatory masks, etc.
- Discussion on ways to get management to adhere to the Stand-up Talk on mandatory masks in areas where social distancing is not possible, such as the PASS area, accountable cart, Pouch Rack/Priority Belt, Registry Room, OJT (on the job training) and the need for District to mandate policy.
- Management not practicing social distancing, needs to lead by example and wear masks/shields.
- Discussed management hypocrisy. They jump all over improper footwear yet refuse to follow an order to mandate necessary protective equipment against a potentially deadly virus.
- Cloth masks are to be provided to every Hawkeye District employee
- Masks were distributed to truck terminal, dispatch, and general clerk’s office
- Management is trying to discipline for refusing to work in areas where social distancing cannot be adhered to and co-workers are refusing to wear masks. The Union calls bullshit! NLRA section 502 addresses the right to refuse to work in unsafe work area
- Keep filing PS Forms 1767 for unsafe work environments. If management doesn’t respond, it goes to step 2 and will go onto OSHA log.
- Fort Dodge is providing us with 100 face shields, thank you Tom and Kelly!
- Discussion on MOU on subcontracting cleaning that expires May 17.
- South Des Moines station needs signs encouraging social distancing
- When a positive is detected, USPS OHNA asks who the positive person has been within 6 feet for 10 minutes.
- Orientation for new clerk assistants will take place next week
- PLEASE CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO EXPRESS THE DIRE NEED FOR USPS TO BE INCLUDED IN A CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN! If the USPS does not receive funding, they’re projected to be broke by September. Save your job! Make the call!
Grassley – (202)224-3744Ernst – (202)224-3254
- Hawkeye District OHNA fax – (515)251-2080
- To call on Governor Reynolds to issue shelter-in-place, call (515)281-5211 Option 1
Please join the DMI-APWU zoom meeting by emailing Mike Bates email@example.com to stay up to date on the latest USPS Covid-19 news. Stay informed, get involved!